An SSCC (Serial Shipping Container Code) is used to provide a number logistic units. An SSCC enables manufacturers, suppliers, carriers and buyers to track a logistic unit from production to end customer. The can be used for tracing goods, warehouse management and efficient handling in transport.
Create an SSCC
An SSCC consists of 18 digits. You create an SSCC using an extension digit, a GS1 Company Prefix, a sequence number and a check digit.
- The extension digit is a number between 0 and 9.*
- A GS1 Company Prefix consists of 6-9 digits.**
- The sequence number consists of a different number of digits depending on the length of the company prefix. We recommend that you number items so that the first item gets sequence number “...001”, the second item gets number “...002”, and so on.
- You can calculate the check digit using a tool on our website.
Here is how to create an SSCC using a GS1 Company Prefix of 9 digits:
If the company prefix has less that nine digits, you create the SSCC in the same way but the sequence number will be more than seven digits.
* The extension digit is a number between 1 and 9. Previously only the digit 3 was used which means there can be logistic and transport-related systems that only permit the use of SSCCs which start with 3. Note that if an SSCC is created based on the company registration number, the extension digit must always be 3. For more information see “Creating an SSCC based on company registration number” below.
** If you subscribe to a “Single number” from GS1 Sweden, special terms apply. For more information see “Creating an SSCC using a “Single Number” below.
Encode an SSCC in a barcode or RFID/EPC tag
The usual symbology for encoding an SSCC is GS1‑128 and this barcode is often printed on a pallet or transport label (GS1 Logistics Label), but it is also possible to use an RFID/EPC-tag.
GS1‑128 includes Application Identifiers (AI). These describe what type of information is in the barcode. An application identifier consists of two to four digits and is printed in parentheses below the barcode together with information it describes. The application identifier for SSCC is “00”.
Reusing previous SSCCs
The same SSCC may not be used on two different logistic units, neither during transport or when they are handled in the warehouse of the transport buyer or goods recipient. This means that the life span of an SSCC, that is the period until the unit is unpacked or repacked, can be from a few to many years.
The transport industry recommends that an SSCC should be available for re-use after 18 months, but only if it is certain that the SSCC is no longer in use. To estimate how many SSCCs your company needs you can, for example, use the number of logistic units handled in the most recent one or two year period.
Creating SSCCs based on company registration number
If your company
- does not need to number trade items with a GTIN
- does not need to number locations, addresses or roles with a GLN, and
- will handle a maximum of 10,000 logistic units during the next 18 months
then you can choose to create SSCCs based on your company registration number.
GS1 Sweden advises against creating SSCCs based on the company registration number since the number will not be available in GS1’s number information service. Also the company will not be able to use GS1 Sweden’s services, such as Validoo Item, or have access to GS1 Sweden’s customer support.
Creating SSCCs based on “Single Number”
In exceptional cases your company can subscribe to a “Single Number” in order to create SSCCs. A “Single Number” works like a GS1 Company Prefix of 12 digits but can only be used to create one GTIN, one GLN and/or 100,000 SSCCs.
A single number cannot be used to create any of GS1’s other identifiers. If you company needs to use any of GS1’s other identifiers, for example GSIN, GINC, GRAI or GSRN, or if your company needs to number more than one item of location, then you will need to order a subscription to a GS1 Company Prefix.